The Diaper Bank of Minnesota relies on donations to help us achieve our goal of providing diapers to Twin Cities families experiencing diaper need. In addition to cash donations, we can always use donations of diapers and wipes. Diaper drives can be a fun way to not only provide us with diapers, but also to increase community awareness about diaper need. Diaper drives can be organized by just about anyone, such as youth groups, families, faith communities, or schools.
As you are planning your diaper drive, keep these top tips in mind.
- Determine your time frame and location – First decide where you will collect diapers, and over what time period. Consider having the drive in a centrally-located donation, such as a local business, library, school, or community center. Label your collection bin so that it is easy to find.
- Set your goals – Decide how many donations you are hoping to collect and develop a way to visually track your progress.
- Spread the word – Promote your diaper drive using a variety of strategies, such as social media, email, local news outlets, or flyers. Let people know what is most needed – we are always in particular need of sizes 5 and 6 – and what you are able to accept. We can only accept wipes and disposable diapers, though we are happy to accept opened and partially used packages.
- Recruit volunteers and arrange transportation – Make arrangements to bring the diapers to us. Depending on the number of diapers collected, you may need a large vehicle. You may even want to recruit volunteers to help with loading up the diapers for delivery. Email [email protected] to coordinate with Diaper Bank of Minnesota staff to arrange a time to bring the donation.
- Share your results – Post pictures on social media and let everyone know about your phenomenal results! Thank your donors and volunteers for their support. Don’t forget to take photos. Send us your photos so that we can acknowledge you in our social media as well.
If you would be interested in conducting a diaper drive on our behalf, reach out to us and we would be happy to provide you with resources or suggestions. We also have a diaper drive toolkit available online.